Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Lost Classics



While ploughing through my LOST DVD Box-set I came across this Mama and Papa’s classic song “Make Your Own Kind of Music” used to surreal effect in Season 2’s exploration of what lies beneath The Hatch and the mysterious Desmond, and the 108 minute push-button. I am enjoying watching LOST in a continuous sequence, as it poses many quirky questions and observations about life. I was amused [but not surprised] to see how some people have gotten totally obsessed by Lost, some even attending a cinema marathon screening in London.

Another aspect like the music references, is the plethora of literary observations and winks to many works, including of course Stephen King who is an advocate of the series, and also an influence on the writers.

"Make your own kind of music"
© 1968 written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil

Nobody can tell ya;
There's only one song worth singin'.
They may try and sell ya,
'cause it hangs them up
to see someone like you.

But you've gotta make your own kind of music
sing your own special song,
make your own kind of music
even if nobody else sings along.

So if you cannot take my hand,
and if you must be goin',
I will understand.
You're gonna be knowing

the loneliest kind of lonely.
It may be rough goin',
just to do your thing's
the hardest thing to do.

But you've gotta make your own kind of music
sing your own special song,
make your own kind of music
even if nobody
else sings along.

So if you cannot take my hand,
and if you must be goin',
I will understand.
You gotta make your own kind of music

sing your own special song,
make your own kind of music even if nobody
else sings along.

A superb song to kick start anyone’s day

2 comments:

  1. That's it. I'm sold. I was on the fence about buying the set. Rewatching this convinced me. Thanks Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That song certainly stands out from among a raft of '60s and '70s songs with similar themes, though it offers a brief reminder of how embarrassingly dated somes '60s expressions have become -- "'cause it hangs them up." That's one effing horribly dated trip, man.

    I'm a little sensitive to this issue because I've just read a novel from 1975 in which characters would say things like "don't put yourself down." It's a fine book. It's not the author's fault that the era's slang sucked.

    My verification word for this comment is a spectacular mix of yoga and garbage: tantrash
    ==========================
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete